After spending the last few years researching and writing about the legal overtones of wine, I gathered a list of helpful resources on wine law. The following is my comprehensive list of suggested reading on the topic.
- Food Regulation: Law, Science, Policy and Practice, Neal D. Fortin
- From Demon to Darling: A Legal History of Wine in America, Richard Mendelson
- A History of Wine in America: From Prohibition to the Present, Thomas Pinney
- The Intellectual Property Debate: Perspectives from Law, Economics and Political Economy (Meir Perez Pugatch ed., 2006)
- The Law of Geographical Indications, Bernard O’Connor
- The Little Red Book of Wine Law, Carol Robertson
- Wine and War: The French, the Nazis, and the Battle for France’s Greatest Treasure, Don Kladstrup
- Wine in America: Law and Policy, Richard Mendelson
- Wine Politics: How Governments, Environmentalists, Mobsters, and Critics Influence the Wines We Drink, Tyler Colman
- Granholm v. Heald, 544 U.S. 460 (2005).
- Siesta Village Market LLC v. Steen, 595 F.3d 249 (5th Cir. 2010).
- Arnold’s Wines v. Boyle, 573 F.3d 185 (2nd Cir. 2009).
- Siesta Village Market LLC v. Granholm, 596 F. Supp. 2d 1035 (E. D. Mich. 2008).
Law Journal Notes and Comments
- Michelle Agdomar, Removing the Greek from Feta and Adding Korbel to Champagne: The Paradox of Geographical Indications in International Law, 18 Fordham Intell. Prop. Media & Ent. L.J. 541 (2008).
- Barton Beebe, Intellectual Property Law and the Sumptuary Code, 123 Harv. L. Rev. 809 (2010).
- Irene Calboli, Expanding the Protection of Geographic Indications of Origin Under TRIPS: “Old” Debate or “New” Opportunity?, 10 Marq. Intell. Prop. L. Rev. 181 (2006).
- Scott Danner, Not Confused? Don’t be Troubled: Meeting the First Amendment Attack on Protection of “Generic” Foreign Geographical Indications, 30 Cardozo L. Rev. 2257 (2009).
- Ivy Doster, A Cheese by Any Other Name: A Palatable Compromise to the Conflict Over Geographical Indications, 59 Vand. L. Rev. 873 (2006).
- Tim Jay and Madeline Taylor, A Case of Champagne: A Study of Geographical Indications, Corp. Gov. eJournal (Jul. 2013).
- Brian Rose, Comment, No More Whining About Geographical Indications: Assessing the 2005 Agreement Between the United States and the European Community on the Trade in Wine, 29 Hous. J. Int’l L. 731 (2007).
- Justin M. Waggoner, Note, Acquiring a European Taste for Geographical Indications, 33 Brooklyn J. Int’l L. 569 (2008).
- Vicki Waye, Assessing Multilateral vs. Bilateral Agreements and Geographic Indications Through International Food and Wine, 14 Currents Int’l Trade L.J. 56 (2005).
Transnational and Domestic Agreements, Legislation, and Documents
- 27 C.F.R. (Codified Federal Regulations).
- Agreement Between the European Community and Australia on Trade in Wine, 2009 J.O. (L 28) 3.
- Agreement between the European Community and the Swiss Confederation on Trade in Agricultural Products (and in French here).
- Agreement Between Australia and the European Community on Trade in Wine, 1994 J.O. (L 86) 3.
- Agreement Between the United States of America and the European Community on Trade in Wine, U.S.-E.C., Mar. 10, 2006.
- Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights, Apr. 15, 1994, arts. 22-24, Marrakesh Agreement Establishing the World Trade Organization, Annex 1C, arts. 22-24, 108 Stat. 4809, 869 U.N.T.S. 299.
- Beverage Alcohol Labeling Requirements by Country.
- European Communities—Protection of Trademarks and Geographical Indications for Agricultural Products and Foodstuffs, WT/DS 174 R 15, March 2005 (05-0955) (Complaint by the United States) and WT/DS 290 R 15, March 2005 (05-0936) (Complaint by Australia).
- Federal Alcohol Administration Act, 27 U.S.C. § 201.
- Lisbon Agreement for the Protection of Appellations of Origin and their International Registration, Oct. 31, 1958, 923 U.N.T.S 205.
- Madrid Agreement for the Repression of False of Deceptive Indications of Source on Goods, Apr. 14, 1891, 828 U.N.T.S. 163.
- Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property, Mar. 20, 1883, 828 U.N.T.S. 305.
- Pub. L. No. 109-432, div. A, § 422, 120 Stat. 2922, 2972 (2006) (codified as amended at 26 U.S.C. § 5388 (2006).
- Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, May 23, 1969 1155 U.N.T.S. 331.
- Alcohol Law Review
- Alcoholic Beverages Law Blog
- Fermentation: The Daily Wine Blog
- Legal Tastings
- Lex Vini
- Pennsylvania Winery and Hospitality Lawyer
- Ship Compliant
- The Society of Wine and Jurisprudence Blog
- Terroirist Blog
- Wine Law in Canada and B.C.
- Wine Lawyer Matthew T. Allen
- Wine with Kat
- Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau
- Australian Government: Register of Protected Geographical Indications and Other Terms
- Center for Wine Origins
- Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne
- European Commission Wine Legislation
- Free the Grapes
- International Organisation of Vine and Wine
- New York Wine and Grape Society
- Office of Champagne, US
- Wine Industry Insight
- Wines & Vines